The National Diploma for Occupational Health and Safety Management Professionals is the flagship NEBOSH award and is the first UK vocational qualification to be developed specifically for health and safety professionals. Since its introduction in 1988 it has become globally established as the most highly valued and popular qualification of its kind, with over 10,000 students having successfully gained the Diploma. This Qualification is considered the gold standard among all qualifications, this Degree Level syllabus was designed by experts for experts. NEBOSH consulted over 600 professionals during its development and complied the syllabus in line with legislation and guidance set out by the HSE (Health and Safety Executive). Students will gain the confidence in their capabilities to recognise, apply their knowledge and solve everyday health and safety issues in real-world settings to provide postive change and improvement in the workplace.
- Students will gain expertise, taking their health and safety know-how to a higher level, helping them effectively manage and advise on risks in the workplace. Along with maintaining individual and organisational health and safety competence.
- Advance skills as a health and safety practitioner and increase confidence in abilities to develop and aduit health and safety management systems, develop a risk management strategy and develop a health and safety policy strategy (including proactive safety, Corporate Social Responsibility and the change management process).
- Understand how health and safety legislation is applied in a workplace, contribute to health and safety legal action and the possible enforcement actions that could be taken.
- Students will be able to source, interpret and evaluate relevant health and safety legislation, guidance, regulations, best practice, and procedures, effectively communicating it to those required (organisations, contractors and insurers).
- Be able to advise on a range of general and common workplace health and safety issues. Including, how these can be assessed, controlled, monitored and applied in many different industries and sectors. Along with informing the organisation on guidance, legislation and regulations in regards to workplace risks, issues and hazards.
- Manage contractors and supply chains to ensure compliance with health and safety standards.
- Promote and priorities a positive health and safety culture, influencing attitudes and behaviour to ensure individual and organisational health and safety competence.
The syllabus comprises three core units:
- Unit DN1 – Know – workplace health and safety principles
- Unit DN2 – Do – controlling workplace health issues
- Unit DN3 – Do – controlling workplace safety issues
How is the course assessed?
Each Diploma Unit is assessed in the following way:
|DN1 – Know – workplace health and safety principles||Assignment – workplace-based tasks together with simulations and reflective statements and a research topic|
|DN2 – Do – controlling workplace health issues||Scenario-based case study|
|DN3 – Do – controlling workplace safety issues||Scenario-based case study|
NEBOSH anticipate that it will take students around 60 hours to complete the ND1 assignment and 40 hours each for the ND2 and ND3 case studies. The time-period given for students to complete each assessment reflects this:
- Unit DN1: 4 weeks (20 working days)
- Unit DN2: 2 weeks (10 working days)
- Unit DN3: 2 weeks (10 working days)
Once registered, students will recieve a portal link direct from NEBOSH to access the assessment. Here they will have the following time as shown above to complete the assessments, either from the comfort of their own home or workplace.
Who Should Attend?
The NEBOSH National Diploma is ideal for health and safety professionals wishing to either advance or make health and safety their career, or those with health and safety responsibilities who are looking to gain in-depth understanding and knowledge. The National Diploma is the perfect choice for professionals looking to increase promotion prospects and earnings through proven expertise and education.
There are no formal entry requirements for the NEBOSH National Diploma. Although, it is recommended that students have completed one of the below courses, as the diploma builds upon the foundation of knowledge provided by:
The NEBOSH National Diploma will run over a total of 36 weeks (1 Academic Year) on a day release format. Every Monday unless for bank holidays. The course is split into 3 Units, each unit has 12 sessions before the assessments. There is a break in between each unit, much like a school year, with the course classroom based.
Q1tum Classroom based courses at the Renishaw Hall & Gardens training facilities begin at 9.30am and finishes at 4.30pm.
On Completion of this Qualification:
Students who have completed the NEBOSH National Diploma will hold recognition and respect when it comes to senior health and safety positions, with the use of designatory letters “DipNEBOSH” after their name. All students on successful completion of the course students are eligible to become a member of the NEBOSH Alumni and the option to progress their studies to postgraduate. NEBOSH has worked in partnership with many UK universities, which has allowed them to accept the NEBOSH Diploma as either full or partial entry requirement for MSc-level courses.
This Diploma course meets the academic requirements to apply for membership of numerous professional bodies:
Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)
The NEBOSH National Diploma is recognised by IOSH, as fulfilling the academic requirements for Chartered Membership (CMIOSH). Which, awards students the title of Chartered Safety and Health Practitioner.
Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (BCRSP)
Holders of the NEBOSH National Diploma for Occupational Health and Safety Management Professionals will now be eligible for certification as a Canadian Registered Safety Technician (CRST) upon completion of the CRST examination.
For those with greater workplace experience and additional qualifications, the BCRSP is offering a streamlined route to Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP).
Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP)
The National Diploma for Occupational Health and Safety Management Professionals is recognised as a Qualified Equivalent Program (QEP) by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (BCSP), meeting the qualified credential requirement for the Certified Safety Professional (CSP) certification.
Holders of the National Diploma for Occupational Health and Safety Management Professionals are eligible for the Member status (MIIRSM) of the Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM).
The NEBOSH National Diploma is a degree level qualification that is seen throughout the world as a mark of professionalism. It’s a qualification to be proud of.
Please contact us for Individual Module Costs.